Monday, January 21, 2013
Hi. I'm back.
The spring semester has started and I think it's going to be much smoother than the last. We just finished our first full week back of classes. This weekend I managed to come down with the flu on Friday night and I'm just now getting over it. I don't remember being sick for over 48 hours in a long time. I felt defeated yesterday, but my appetite was returning..I convinced Eric that a milkshake and french fries from our local fast food place would cheer my spirits. He didn't think it would be good for me, but still went and got them for me. :D
Last night I was feeling stir crazy and decided to bake. I went for a healthy-ish muffin. It's sweetened with honey only and has a lot of bulk from shredded carrots, apples and unsweetened coconut. I think they're great.
The original recipe came from here. Makes 12 regular sized muffins or 30 minis.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 carrots, peeled & grated, about 1 cup
1 apple, peeled and grated, about 1/2 cup
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil (I used grapeseed)
1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine.
5. Place 1 tbsp of batter into greased mini muffin tins.
6. Bake for 15 minutes for minis, or 25 for regular sized.